It Smells Like Home

Singapore was hazy in today. I thought the rain in the morning left a thin layer of fog in the sky, but it smelled like smoke when I was out for lunch. I was thinking the cleaners of the office building next door was burning garbage. I joked with my colleague that the smoke was from our office, so that we didn't have to go back to work.

I just knew that there is forest fire in Indonesia when I was back at the office. It happens annually apparently. I've heard that the smoke can reach Singapore and Malaysia, but hadn't experience it personally. Until today.

I think Indonesian workers in Singapore shouldn't feel homesick for the coming few days. The homeland is sending its scent here. The scent of homeland in a foreign soil. Hmmm, nothing is better than that. Nothing SMELLS like home!